Monday, November 21, 2022

Meat marbling

In meat, but specifically in red meat, fat content is an important feature that results in a good eating experience. Marbling is the visible unsaturated (healthy) intramuscular fat that accumulates within the muscle and between the muscle fibre bundles

Marbling, or white flecks of fat within the meat muscle, is often evaluated on the cut surface of the rib-eye or loinieye. The most commonly used method for evaluating marbling is visual comparison with published standards. Marbling affects meat’s juiciness, tenderness, texture, and flavor—attributes that determine “eating experience.”

Marbling that is fine-textured (small flecks) and uniformly distributed is preferred over marbling that appears as large, coarse flecks of intramuscular fat. Certain cuts of beef naturally accumulate more intramuscular fat than others. Some cuts known for their high degree of marbling are ribeye, short rib, strip, and flatiron steaks. Other premium cuts, such as filet, are prized for qualities other than marbling, such as extreme tenderness.

Increasing the protein content of the diet may increase starch digestion and absorption in the intestinal tract. The increasing the protein level in diets of young calves to as high as 16% increases marbling. The combination of higher grain and protein in diets will lead to more marbling.

In the United States, Japan, and Australia, trained human graders visually appraise the amount of white fat flecks in muscle and their spatial distribution to determine the quality of meat.
Meat marbling

The most popular articles

Other posts

  • What is bactofugation? - Bactofugation is a process used to eliminate bacteria contained in milk using centrifugal force. It is a special form of separation of microorganisms, main...
  • Physical function of calcium in human body - Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the body. About 99% of the body’s calcium is stored in bones, and the remaining 1% is found in blood, muscle, and o...